Bottom half managerial changes and points per game:
- Palace (Pulis) 1.25
- Sunderland (Poyet) 1.21
- Swansea (Monk) 1.00
- Cardiff (Solskjaer) 0.78
- Fulham (Meulensteen) 0.71
- WBA (Mel) 0.50
- Fulham (Magath) 0.33
- AVERAGE: 0.83
- WEST HAM UNITED AVERAGE: 1.11
- Jury’s still out for Poyet. His tally looks alright for now but he has 2 tough away games in hand - including Man City.
- Our owners will make sure to take the credit for sticking with Sam but that’s not the truth - Allardyce would simply cost too much to be sacked.
- Take into account that new managers are expected to be achieving around 1.3-1.5 points per game - that’s how much it’s usually needed to get the club to safety.
- Stupid sackings of Clarke and Malkay could cost WBA and Cardiff more than £50m.
- Long story short - unless you have a English football survival specialist lined up (Pulis, Allardyce, even Martinez), don’t sack your manager during the season. Chances are you will do more damage than good.
- At the end of the season at least 2 of these managerial changes will look good (i.e. survival achieved) but in reality they were saved by shockingly bad performances of other teams.
My 3 to go down:
20th - Fulham
19th - Cardiff
18th - WBA.